Friday, July 2, 2010

Reality Sets In

I am sitting in the airport after a long trip. I missed my flight last night due to other people being late. I hate when people are late. Its beyond rude. It tells me you dont think I am important enough to make my time a priority. I made the best of it by doing some more work in the area so it wasnt a total loss, and really it turned out to be quite the eye opener.

I have been driving around from branch to branch, just keeping to myself and seeing what I can see. It was like Mulberry Street.... As I was driving I came across thousands of acres of produce. It was in very neat rows, all the same height, same color, it very much appealed to my OCD.

Where I started to realize things was when I slowed down, pulled over, and answered my phone. I was talking as usual, not paying attention to much. When the conversation ended, I looked over at these unbearably straight rows and I saw them. There were about one hundred workers. They were all bent over at the waist picking whatever it was off the plants on the ground. Maybe it was my age, or maybe I was just feeling in touch wtih humanity, but I thought of the effort it takes for me to have a simple salad. They, I assume, stand bent over all day like that picking fruit for hours. I complain when my office gets a bit hot, or I get uncomfortable. How easy I have it....

I started to think of all the things I should be more grateful for. My family, my God, my ability to say what I want, when I want. My option to serve my country, my flag, freedom, everything. I have healthy children, who for some reason think I am an OK guy. My wife has stayed wtih me for over 21 years, (I say she lost a bet) a house, my cars run. I have a washer for my clothes, a dishwasher, a yard with shade, the list goes on and on.

I could ramble for days, but the point is, I realized how good I have it. I dont know why it took one hundred workers picking berries, or heaven forbid spinach, to teach me but it must have been fate, or karma, or kismet, or sushi, or what ever you would like to believe. For me, I think it was just what I needed to help put me back on the right path (for a while anyway...)

2 comments:

  1. wow! I could say who are you and what did you do with my friend Craig? instead I'll just say an extra prayer of gratitude!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love moments like this. I had one myself about six or so months ago. Real eye openers. Love it.

    By the way, your winning combo is thwarted. 19.5 inches got snagged up by Michelle first. (By the way, thanks for keeping the weight under 8 lbs)

    ReplyDelete