Wednesday, July 28, 2010

hotdogs......again!

Recently my wife had the opportunity to spend some time away with her friends. She was technically working, but it was a Mary Kay seminar, and those ladies can party, so I doubt there was too much work... Her time away means its my time home. Well I didn't take any time off work so I could use it later. This presented a myriad of issues I needed to solve.

First, my little guys cant stay home alone. The oldest is working full time, and the other two older kids are at band all morning. Problem solved, I will send the younger kids with the older kids to band. There is nothing safer than sending your 8 and 11 year old to a high school marching band practice.

Well I think we all know how this is going to end. Yes the phone call came. I was patient, kind, loving, concerned. All the things a good father should be. He doesn't know it yet, but I am going to kill him in his sleep. HOW IN THE NAME OF SARA LEE CHEESECAKE DO YOU LEAVE TWO BOYS ALONE!!!

The point is my wife is gone, that leaves me to do it all. Now usually I am a pretty good helper. I do laundry, clean up the kitchen, help pick things up. I feel I am a good contributor. For some reason this week was horrible. Did anyone else know, when food disappears, you actually have to go get it? When milk runs out, it doesn't regrow in the fridge? Who knew?

I stumbled through the store, (no oreos, but a bug bag of sour cream and cheddar chips)stayed on budget, and actually planned a few decent things. None of which the kids wanted. We ended up having hot dogs the first night, cleaned up and all was well.

I like it when the wife is gone. I can make things my way, its nice. I also get a chance to realize how much she does. It gives me a bit of perspective. It helps me understand everything she goes though. How many times do we get a chance to spend some time in another person's shoes. It is great to think things through.

Long story short we ended up having "anything night" I wasnt up to cooking, do you know how exhausting it is to work all day and then come home to cook to a bunch of whinny children? I finally said, you are on your own, have what you want. I had hot dogs.

I found my wife had won a very prestigious award from her area. I was, and am very proud of her. I have always thought she is fantastic and works very hard to make things good.

On the third night I started to fix chicken. I only had a 60% complaint rate. I thought I was doing well. The chicken turned out pretty good. I was impressed. Then the big day came, the day Mom comes home.

Saturday, I decided to make sure the house was very clean, I made a list, a big list. I got up early, the kids were off to a parade, so I was off to the races about 6:30. Laundry, staining a door, going to the store (again, this is ridiculous) cleaning the bathroom, changing the oil, the usual.

By the time dinner rolled around, I was exhausted. The house was clean, we washed the car, things were all in place. It was time to prepare my last meal as a part time single parent. I decided we are going out! Grant asked if we could go someplace they didn't have hotdogs.

Man am I glad my wife is home.

2 comments:

  1. Um, I fixed the chicken. Remember? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha! I was going to ask how much you paid Briana to cook the chicken...

    ReplyDelete